Case tirée du tome 2 de Revoir Paris, publié en octobre.
Page from volume 2 of Revoir Paris, published in October.
From Rayonnant to Flamboyant Gothic Along with the Conciergerie, the Sainte-Chapelle in Paris (above right) is a vestige of the Palais de la Cité, on the site of what today is the Palais de Justice courthouse. The Sainte-Chapelle regularly hosts exhibitions and other events, such as the Couronne d’épines de cristal, a crystal version of Christ’s crown of thorns by Patrick Neu, on display in early 2017. What was known as the Sainte-Chapelle du Palais was built in 1248 on the Île de la Cité at Saint Louis’s request to house the Crown of Thorns, part of the True Cross and other relics associated with the Passion of Christ, acquired from 1239. The first of the holy chapels to be built, it is noted for the elegance and boldness of its Rayonnant Gothic architecture, in particular its immense stained-glass windows: 15 windows 15 meters high, illustrating 1,113 scenes from the Old and New Testaments. The Sainte-Chapelle in Vincennes (above left), founded in 1379, was also intended to house relics of the Passion. Longer and wider than that of Paris, it illustrates the beginnings of Flamboyant Gothic in French royal architecture in the late 14th century. Both chapels are managed by the Centre des Monuments Nationaux.
En savoir plus
For Further Information
See the Escales Culture videos on board our aircraft and the detailed program (long-haul flights) at the back of this magazine..